There are lots of slow motion cameras that you can purchase in the market, and we know how hard it is for you to pick the best slow motion camera. One of the things that you should consider in choosing your slow motion camera is its price. Thus, we create this post that will help you to choose the best camera for slow motion at a very low cost. On the other hand, for those who are ready to spend some of their investment to purchase their chosen action camera for slow motion, we also have some reviewed cameras for you.
We all know that you want to have the best slow motion action camera for you to be able to capture the best moment in your life excellently. If you do not have the excellent cameras for slow motion, your experience will not be captured as presentable as you think. For you to shot the perfect slow motion videos of your experience, the first thing that you will need is to have the best slow motion video camera. In this post, we are going to present you our top 10 picks of slow motion cameras that are perfect for those who have low and high budgets in their pocket.
In this article, we will provide you with the following;
- Reviews about each slow motion video cameras mentioned,
- Advantages and disadvantages of each camera,
- Key features of each,
- Tips and techniques to find the best slow motion camera for you, and;
- Frequently asked questions for slow motion cameras.
Before we go through to our top 10 picks a camera for shooting slow motion videos , let us define first what slow motion is. Well, the term “slow motion,” which is usually abbreviated as slow-mo or slo-mo refers to the film-making effect that is usually being used when the time tends to be slower. This film-making effect was invented during the 20th century by August Musger, who is an Austrian priest.
Generally, this type of film making can be reached when every film framed will be shot at a faster rate compared to the time that it will be replayed. When you are going to playback the video at its normal rate, the time tends to appear slower. “Overcranking” is the common word that is being used to describe the development of slow motion film. You can also achieve the slow motion videos through playing the captured footage normally at its very slow speed. This kind of trick is usually being utilized in various footage’s that tend to be replay instantly.
One of the techniques that are popular for making slow motion videos is the program that is similar to Twixtor, which can be utilized with the use of computer software post-processing.This technique tends to digitally construct interpolated frames that will have a smooth conversion between the captured frames.
Best Slow Motion Camera: 30 Second Summary
- Best Overall: Sony-DSCRX10 III Cyber-Shot Digital Still Video Camera is our top slow motion camera for action that can give you the high resolution of photos and high definition videos. It is one of the best cameras for slow motion that is constructed with 40x high frame rate. It will offer you with the faster processing of images because of its BIONZ X and can reduce the noise of your captured vids and stills.it also has a wide focal length that is perfect for various standards of photography and videography.
- Best Budget Friendly: The Sony-PXW-FS7 XDCAM PXWFS7 Professional Camcorder Camera is also the slow motion camera that will give you versatile and durable vids and stills. It has the frame that is built with magnesium which ensures that you can use it for a longer time. It features seals that will help in avoiding the water and dust from coming inside your camera. It can also regulate the camera temperature with the use of its heat pipes. Aside from that, it would be easier for you to fix some brands of lenses on this brand.
Review of the Top 10 Best Slow Motion Cameras
We can’t deny the fact that there is a wide range of slow motion camera brands out there. With that, choosing the slow motion video camera that will meet all your needs seems to be overwhelming. Fortunately, we have chosen the top 10 best slow motion action cameras that you can use to capture the special moment in your life professionally. Take note that this review for various camera products is unbiased and honest. Thus, you can ensure that you will have the best out of the best.
1. Sony-DSCRX10 III Cyber-Shot Digital Still Video Camera – The Fancy Yet Excellent Camera
The first slow motion video camera that we gave to you is the Sony-DSCRX10 III Cyber-Shot Digital Still Video Camera, which will give you the versatility of its high-quality features.
This camera is considered as your go-to-slow-motion video camera that has a higher rate of frame for about 40x or 960fps. It will offer you with the very slow motion mode in all your videos that were captured at its very high speed.
You can operate this Sony-DSCRX10 III Cyber-Shot Digital Still Video Camera with the use of the BIONZ X engine that will offer faster processing of images and will reduce noises for higher videos and stills. Aside from that, it also features 24mm to 600mm focal length that will provide you with the wide zoom able range that is perfect for various types of the specific standard of photography, images, and videos.
This first slow motion camera comes up with the average price point. It has been accumulated with the magnesium alloy that is designed for sturdiness. Furthermore, this camera also features moist and dust resistant.
In addition, it also features the f/2.4-f-4 maximum aperture that is suitable for the low light and night events. Aside from those features, it also has the autofocus speed feature that is for about 0.09 seconds faster.
The Sony-DSCRX10 III Cyber-Shot Digital Still Video Camera also has a larger Exmor RS 20.1 MP one-inch CMOS Image sensor that is suitable to store your images and videos with high quality assurance. What is good with this slow motion action camera is that it also features a camera application that will give you ease in connecting with other mobile devices, such as your mobile phones, with the use of Wi-Fi and NFC.
- 960fps high frame rate
- BIONZ X engine
- Moist and dust resistant
- Faster autofocus speed
- Camera application for faster transferring of your vids and images through Wi-Fi and NFC
- It features a larger image sensor that will give you more detailed work.
- It has the maximum aperture that is suitable in both low and night lit situations.
- It as awide-ranging focal length.
- It comes up with a wide array of features that will offer you a diverse videography and photography that includes portraiture and landscape.
- It has 960fps High frame rate speed,which makes it as the impeccable unit of camera that you can use in different slow-motion scenes.
- It is much more expensive compared to other slow-motion action camera units that you can buy in the market.
2. Canon-PowerShot ELPH 300 HS 12.1 MP Digital Camera –Budget-Friendly Camera
The seventh slow motion action camera that you should try is popular because of its budget-friendly price with high quality features. This is the Canon-PowerShot ELPH 300 HS 12.1 MP Digital Camera that is versatile enough for you to have your desired resolution that will satisfy your needs in your videography or photography experiences. It also features full High Definition with 30fps. It is constructed with the High Frame Rate, which is about 240fps that will give you the excellent slow motion effect.
Aside from that, this budget-friendly slow motion video camera also comes up with the 12 Megapixel CMOS sensor of 1080 p High Definition. It has a focal point that is 24 mm wide with the zoomable 5X optical versatility. More so, this Canon-PowerShot ELPH 300 HS 12.1 MP Digital Camera also features a Digic 4 Image Processor that is considered as the advanced image processing system of Canon that will reduce noise and deliver higher speed rate.
Furthermore, in terms of its steady usage during the continuous movement, it also features optical image stabilization. In addition, it has a camera that is 2.7 inches wide, that is perfect for your convenience and ease. Moreover, this is the slow motion action camera that only weighs 5 ounces and is in its compact size, which will enable you to carry it without any hassle.
- Thinner and in its compact size
- HS system for lighter videos and stills
- Zoomable 5x optical versatility
- It features dynamic image stabilization
- It is very portable and has a lighter weight
- It will offer you with versatility and durability because of its 5X zoomable optical feature
- Among all of these, this camera is very affordable and can be purchased by those with a tight budget.
- It is a past model, but still can perform quality work and give you high definition videos and photos.
3. Panasonic-GH5 Lumix C4K Mirrorless Camera – Best Dust and Splash Resistant Camera
First and foremost, this Panasonic-GH5 Lumix C4K Mirrorless Camera is a mirrorless type of camera. Thus, you can ensure that this is compact and small.
It has the magnesium-made frame, which makes it as the full-die-cast armor because of its lighter weight, which is 1 pound, compared to other slow motion cameras out there. Even though it has a small size and lighter weight, rest assured that you will still produce high quality photos and videos. Aside from that, it is weatherproof and can be utilized in an area with -10 degrees Fahrenheit temperature. More so, it also features a weather sealing on its joint, button, and dial ensuring that it is splash and dust resistant.
In terms of slow motion photography, this camera has 8 Mega Pixel resolution and 4K at 60fps of High Frame Rate, which will help you to get the excellent slow motion effect that you want. It also features digital 10.28 MP live Mos sensor that will allow you to record a wide range of scenarios.
In terms of its price, it comes up with the average price point, but some people still consider this camera as a pricey one compared to other budget-friendly brands out there.
- Freeze, Dust, and Splash Resistant Rugged Design
- Wireless Connectivity
- Higher Resolution
- Mirrorless Type of Camera
- It is one of the latest models of slow motion video cameras in the market.
- Once purchased, it comes up with some accessories, such as the Sony 64GB SD Card and a weatherproof hard case.
- It is lightweight and small and is perfect for traveling.
- You can still use it even at a low temperature.
- You can ensure that it is free from splash and dust since it is splash and dust resistant.
- This is the slow motion video camera that will offer you with the excellent slow motion effect for about 4K, High frame rate of 60fps, and 8 Mega Pixel resolution.
- As mentioned earlier, for some people, it is quite expensive.
4. Panasonic-Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Gold Package – Best Camera for Vivid Slow-Mo Vids
This Panasonic-Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Gold Package is considered as your exceptional camera that comes up with the high frame rate of 100fps, which will provide you with the vivid slow motion effects.
It has the camera that was built to offer you with the high-resolution photos. Furthermore, it also features 4k HD video recording. It is one of the best camera for youtube videos. Aside from that, it also comes up with the adjustable aperture size and 16X optical zoom capacity. Furthermore, it has also an inch sensor that comes up with the MOS optical sensor resolution for about 20.1 Mega Pixel, which is considered as a large MP for high quality resolution of images.
Yes, this brand of slow motion camera is pricey, but note that it has been reasonably priced. Aside from that, you will be given a year of manufacturers warranty. Once purchased, you will be instantly given some of its high-quality accessories that will improve your photography and videography kit, such as a camera bag, cleaning kit, and a screen protector.
It comes up with a plastic-made camera, which weights for about 6.1 lbs., which is quite heavy for you to carry it for a prolonged time. But what is nice with this camera is its excellent grip.
Aside from that, it is the camera that has a ready to install Panasonic application, which will allow you to transfer your photos and videos to your mobile phone and other mobile devices using your Wi-Fi or your NFC.
- 4K recording of High Definition vids
- Zoomable capacity of 16X
- 1 Mega Pixel
- Built in Panasonic application
- It comes up with a larger sensor.
- Once purchased, you will be given a year of manufacturer’s warranty.
- You can purchase it with the average price point, which is considered as an excellent bridge camera.
- You can produce high resolution images and High definition videos with this slow motion camera.
- It has been priced reasonably and packed with the high-quality camera accessories.
- Its camera has 100fps of high frame rate that will help you to produce and record the exceptional slow motion scenes.
- It does not feature a touch screen.
- It is quite heavy for those who will carry it with their hands.
5. GoPro-Hero7 Black — Best Waterproof Digital Action 4K Camera
I will assure you that you will love the features that this GoPro-Hero7 Black — Waterproof Digital Action 4K Camera will offer to you. First and foremost, it comes up with the 1080p 240 high frame rate, which is best for recording slow motion videos and giving you the chance to capture the epic situations of your friends. What’s amazing with this type of camera is that it has lots of excellent features that you can use for your photography and videography masterpiece.
It has a sturdy camera and has a water-resistant feature for more durability. With its 4K 60 videos and its 12 Megapixel of image sensor, rest assured that you will capture stunning photos and record excellent videos. Aside from that, it was also built with gimbal-quality stabilization correcting camera shake that will help you to have smoother effect for your videos.
The GoPro-Hero7 Black — Waterproof Digital Action 4K Camera is a budget-friendly camera brand, which will give you the opportunity to have the best slow motion video camera at a very fair price. It only weighs 116.2 grams or 4.1 ounces, which will make your portability and hands-holding easier.
More so, it is also developed a touch screen for easy navigation. Furthermore, it also comes up with a photo time and a voice control for your ease and convenience. What’s excellent with this camera is that it has the ready to install applications which will allow you to connect it with your mobile phones for easy live streaming.
- Smoother stabilization of stills and vids
- Water and dust resistant
- Live to stream
- Voice control
- It comes up with the features for live streaming.
- It was built sturdily and came up with the water-resistant features.
- It was priced reasonably.
- It will offer you smoother photos and videos because of its excellent video stabilization correcting shakes.
- It features a 1080 p 240 high frame rate for better slow motion effects.
- It is one of the latest models that you can see in the market.
- There are some brands of camera that are reasonably cheaper than this one that is also good for making slow motion videos.
6. Nikon-Coolpix P500 36x Nikkor Black Digital Camera – Best Autofocus Video Camera
This Nikon-Coolpix P500 36x Nikkor Black Digital Camera will offer you with a diverse photography and videography experience because of its top-notch camera features. It comes up with 22.5mm to 810mm focal length, which is considered as a wide zoom able range that will provide with the various types of videography and photography.
These will include portraiture, landscape, and standard photos and videos. Furthermore, it will also give you a quicker autofocus for a more convenient experience.
It can record speedy scenarios and turn it into a slow motion video with the help of its speed range, which is 120 fps high frame rate that will offer you 1080 p at 30 fps in full high definition. In addition, it features a microphone for shooting and recording videos.
It is perfect for macro videography and photography because of its .4 inches of shooting distance.
In terms of price, this brand of slow motion camera was priced competitively when compared with the same camera brands that you can purchase in the market.
Furthermore, it comes up with the 12.1 Megapixel CMOS sensor that will provide you with the low light and high-speed experience without using its flash. Among all of these, what we love about this camera is that it will offer you with the 36X zooming range for durability and versatility.
Most importantly, it will also provide you with 1080 p for shooting your desired videos. Aside from that, it also features VR image stabilization system that will give you shake-free images and videos.
What’s more, this Nikon-Coolpix P500 36x Nikkor Black Digital Camera has the advanced night portraits and advanced landscape modes for your adventures during nighttime.
- VR image stabilization system
- Higher focal length
- Faster autofocus
- It comes up with the VR image stabilization.
- It also features 12 Megapixel CMOS sensor.
- It comes up with the 36X zooming capacity.
- It has been priced by its manufacturer reasonably.
- It has a good slow motion effect which is capturing high-speed scenarios and switches it into the slow motion mode.
- It is a past model, but still in high quality.
7. Sony-PXW-FS7 XDCAM PXWFS7 Professional Camcorder Camera – Best Camera to Capture Videos and Stills
The second slow-motion video camera that you might consider is this Sony-PXW-FS7 XDCAM PXWFS7 Professional Camcorder Camera that is known in producing versatile and high-quality photos. It is also considered as the best slow motion action camera for making documentaries and reality TV shows. It is also being used by many photographers in doing photography, such as in magazines.
It has the magnesium-made frame that is strongly built for longer usage. It also features various seals that have the work in preventing the water and the dust from getting inside and destroying the camera. In addition, it also features some heat pipes that will control the camera’s temperature.
Aside from that, it would also be easier for you to attach some lenses for your ease and convenience. ‘
This Sony-PXW-FS7 XDCAM PXWFS7 Professional Camcorder Camera has a weight of 12 lbs. which might be heavy for your hands to carry it for a long period of time. What is good with this camera is that it was built with excellent hand-grip features. To be honest, the hand-grips of this camera is what makes it heavyweight.
This slow motion video camera features more than 35 of different image sensors that will offer you with the best bokeh. Furthermore, these image sensors are also good in reducing image noises and in low-light sensitivity.
Among all of these, this camera features 180 fps of High Frame Rate that can be reached via the simultaneous high frame rate in full HD. Because of its high frame rate of HFR, it will provide you with the best slow motions scenes in various frames every second. Aside from that, it also works well in quick movements.
To be honest, this is considered as the best out of the best camera that will require lots of your investments.
- Seals to avoid water and dust
- Heat pipes regulating the camera temperature
- Excellent hand grips
- It will offer you with the high-quality features that will provide your stills and videos the versatility that you want.
- It is accumulated to be more durable compared to other slow motion camera brands out there.
- It will provide you with the 35 larger image sensors.
- You will be amazed because of its excellence in both quick motion and slow motion.
- It is a well-known camera in making the best stills and videos.
- As mentioned earlier, since it offers lots of camera features, it would take some of your time in maximizing each one of these.
- It might be difficult for you to carry it using your hands.
- It is the top-notch slow motion video camera that can be purchased with a higher price.
8. Sony RX0 II– Full Package Camera
The Sony RX0 II is considered as the most impressive and unusual slow motion action camera that can be used in various ways. This RX0 II has the electronic image stabilization that can go with the other top-notch cameras. This is also the camera that can be accessed with the use of a tripod. If you want to have a very handy camera that you can take whenever and wherever you go, then you Sony RX0 II are perfect for you.
- Multi-camera control
- Built in Bluetooth and Wi-Fi
- Microphone input
- Crush, dust, water, and shock-resistant
- First and foremost, this camera is considered as one of the most pocket-friendly camera brands that you can purchase in the market.
- It is an excellent sports video camera.
- If you will read some of its reviews from its former customers, you can see that almost 80% of its reviews are positive.
- If you are wondering about the upcoming birthday of your younger brother, you can consider this camera as your perfect gift.
- When you go to the other markets that sell the latest models of slow motion cameras, you can see that this Sony RX0 II is some of the older models.
9. Sony-a7R III Mirrorless CameraLSI Image Processor ILCE7RM3/B – Best Camera for Veterans and Semi-Professionals
This Sony-a7R III Mirrorless CameraLSI Image Processor ILCE7RM3/B is considered as one of the top-notch slow motion video camera that can be used perfectly by both semi-pro and veterans because of its entire camera features. This is the camera that is excellent in capturing the high-speed movement of objects at moderately lit or high lit situations, which will provide you with the best slow motion effect.
To start tackling the great features of this camera, it comes up with a 42.2 Megapixel CMOS image sensor that is considered as the advanced feature of a camera. Second, it also features BIONZ X engine that will provide you with the quality and fast processing of images. Aside from that, you will also experience lots of its best features.
This is also the video camera for slow motion that weighs 1.45 pounds that is in its compact and small size similar to the travel-friendly mirrorless video cameras out there. It also features easy and comfortable hand-grips for your convenience.
More so, it has a high frame rate speed that is about 10 fps with AE and AF tracking. In addition, it also has the precise autofocus and high speed even when recording in low lit or high lit situations. For your information, one of the best features of this Sony-a7R III Mirrorless Camera LSI Image Processor ILCE7RM3/B is its electronic viewfinder.
It has also the camera that is constructed in capturing 4K videos that are on its high definition. Furthermore, it also features a built in Wi-Fi that will help you to connect and transfer some of your preferred videos and photos to your mobile devices and phones conveniently.
- Faster Image Processing
- High Speed and Excellent Autofocus
- Built-in Wi-Fi
- BIONZ X Engine
- It features silent video recording and photo capturing for an excellent resolution for your videography and photography experiences.
- It has also come up with the weather-resistant feature.
- It comes up with the 42.4 Megapixel image sensor.
- Because of its lighter weight, you can ensure that it is very durable and portable.
- Since this is not the top-notch video camera model, you cannot utilize it with the use of a touchscreen.
- It is very pricey.
10. Sony-a7S II 12.2 MP ILCE7SM2/B E-mount Camera with Full-Frame Sensor – Best Camera for Dark Photo or Video Places
Sony-a7S II 12.2 MP ILCE7SM2/B E-mount Camera with Full-Frame Sensor is a full frame type of slow motion camera that comes up with its electronic viewfinder. Since its features are associated with each other, it will offer you with the diverse range that will suit in various kinds of videography and photography.
It will also offer you with the higher speed of AF for the great autofocus for still photos and videos. Because of its 5-axis image stabilization, it will decrease the blurriness of your sharp captured photos.
- 2 Mega Pixel full-frame sensor
- Precise and faster autofocus
- Durable and decrease vibration
- Built-in Wi-Fi for easier connectivity
- Because of its larger sizes of pixels, you can use it excellently in dark situations.
- It also features PlayMemories application that will offer you with the best slow motion effect.
- It is much expensive.
- Sony a7S III is the latest model of this brand.
Tips to Find the Best Slow Motion Camera
These days you can find slow motion cameras all over the world and they’re becoming more prevalent. They offer many advantages to regular video footage including increased clarity, detail and accuracy that would be lost with traditional frame rates or speeds. Slow mo videos are also great for creating breathtaking cinematographic shots like those seen in blockbuster films.
Selecting the right slow-motion cameras is a little bit difficult cause there are lots of them. To help you with here is the list of the buying guides which you should look into consideration in choosing the slow motion camera.
This is the feature that will help you to decrease the shakiness and vibration of the camera while capturing vids and photos. Aside from that, it can also decrease the blurriness of the photo when captured in low lit situations.
Excellent focus plays a very important role if you want to have excellent videography and photography since it will draw the attention of the viewer to the image that you want to emphasize. When your camera doesn’t have great autofocus, it can ruin your shot.
Most slow motion cameras have a video recording feature. 1080p is the standard High Definition in which some of the cameras – whether mirrorless or not are capable with this feature. Check out our top reviews for photo stick and how it can help you to save all your photos & videos easily.
Frequently Asked Questions
Want to know more about the slow-mo cameras? This frequently asked question section can help. So, keep on reading.
- What fps is good for slow motion?
In this generation, most cameras are now offering options of standard frame rate. The ideal fps for you to shoot great slow motion vids is for about fps. Some photographers and videographers prefer fps, that is about 120 and more. The frame rate that you will use will always vary upon the scene that you want to capture.
- Does higher fps mean better quality?
Fps is an acronym which is short for “frames per second.” If you have a low level of fps, let us say 30 fps, your captured photo or video will look leggy and choppy. But, if you have higher fps, let us say 60fps, you can produce smoother animation.
In this world, nothing is perfect. But we always believe that the slow motion video cameras that we have mentioned above are awesome! So, take a look at our cameras and pick which is the best one for you.